Because of the work you do matters, we want to help your initiative reduce drowning and education the children around water stewardship in the world! If you are part of a grassroots initiative (NGO or charity) that is near river, lakes or oceans, we want to help you.
Swimming is a Life Skill That Everyone Should Possess.
SwimTayka believes that all children, no matter where they are, should be able to swim. It is a life skill that many of us take for granted, however, there are more than 360,000 lives lost to drowning globally every year, the majority are aged under 18.
These deaths are preventable.
SwimTayka provides free swimming lessons and environmental education about clean water stewardship to underprivileged children who live along the Earth’s open waters: rivers, lakes and oceans. We aim to create a legacy for today’s children, who will grow up to teach the next generation.
We are looking to expand our projects and increase the number of children we reach.
Are you an organisation or charity that is based in a disadvantaged area that local children would benefit from learning this basic life skill?
SwimTayka is looking for organisations to partner with to jointly host projects across the globe.
- Connect you with volunteer swimming instructors and environmental educators
- Provide basic water safety, swimming and clean water education.
Organisations, not-for-profit, charities must fit the following criteria to become Community Partners eligible for our cost-free SwimTayka Programme.
- Be geographically located in a waterside community along an ocean, river or lake
- Have programmes in place to serve disadvantaged children
- Enjoy positive relationships with the communities it serves
- Have safety protocols in place for staff, volunteers, and the individuals it serves
We do have preferred criteria of partners, this is not an extensive list
- Have a history of working with international volunteers and serving the local community
- Be able to facilitate access to swimming locations such as swimming pools and/or open water swim locations
- Share the SwimTayka vision, is as passionate about teaching children to swim and environmental stewardship as we are
- Have similar programmes in place and dedicated staff for environmental education, water stewardship, water safety, and/or swimming
- Have a well-developed board of directors/trustees
- Be open to and capable of cross-promoting our programmes, and assisting SwimTayka volunteers with local logistics such as accommodations, transport, swimming locations, classrooms, field trips, etc.
Community Partner Application
We invite you to learn more about the SwimTayka programme before applying
Some of the success stories
I came to know the NGO ETIV through an invitation to teach swimming lessons to students living in communities with few opportunities. From that moment on, I got to know the whole team and the work that is done in other areas such as English classes, environmental classes etc... and then I realized that everything that is done, is done with a lot of love and affection, with total responsibility and dedication to reach the goals. As soon as I started giving my classes, I realized that I was already fully involved in this project and that I was really happy to pass on my knowledge, not only to the students, but also to my co-workers, with a united team we made magical and fantastic events where everything went well and goals were achieved. These 2 months went by very fast and it's a shame that this project only lasts for such a short period each year. Congratulations to the team, and congratulations to SwimTayka.Swimming Teacher
“I think it’s important for everyone to be able to swim, because it is a lifesaving measure. It is very fun to enjoy swimming in rivers and the ocean. Learning to swim opens up other opportunities like being able to surf or stand-up-paddle.”ETIV-do-Brasil
“I like the classes, they are very fun. I like always learning something new every class. I enjoy being together with cool people and making new friendships. I enjoy splashing in the water with my friends. It is fun learning different styles of swimming like butterfly and crawl, and my teachers are all really cool.”Children in Brazil
"I’m very happy to have gotten this amazing opportunity. I love swimming and I can’t wait to swim in the ocean and go to the beach with my family, and practise all the swimming styles that I learned. I feel good after the swimming classes, swimming is good for my health and body.”Children in Brazil
Who Wants To Go The Beach?The highlight of everyone’s day (children and volunteers alike) is hearing “Who wants to go the beach?” Without fail the universal response is an excited chorus of “yays and yes’s.” The beach segment includes beach clean-up along with individual and team-building games and activities. But the real treat is hopping in the ocean and practising pool drills along with having free time. Volunteering with SwimTayka truly is a unique experience and an opportunity I’m so glad to have had.Gary Emich