We now have our assessment day setup, which is to be held on 12th September 2020 at Dover Marina Beach from 10 am until 3 pm. Subject to weather and conditions.
This clinic is set up uniquely for SwimTayka and our English Channel Assessment day.
The day will start at 10 am with a meet and greet at Dover Marina Beach. We will kick off introductions at 10:15 am and hope to be in the harbour water from 10:45 am.
- 10:00 – meet at Dover Harbour – swimmers beach
- 10:15 – introduction to open water swimming
- 11:30 – team talk
- 12:00 – lunch (not provided)
- 13:00 – swim in the harbour
- 14:30 – questions and answers
The first session will be an introduction to open water swimming lead by Coaches from TriSwim, (SwimSmooth Coach Laura and Channel Swimmer and coach, David Poland), support kayak will be available, and this is to see your ability and give you confidence in the water.
Swim Smooth open water clinics are world-famous and deliver an exceptional coaching experience plus all the information and tools to help you swim faster and more efficient front crawl, with less effort.
The assessment training includes: –
- How to reduce the impact of cold water
- How to breathe and stay calm
- The technique for swimming in open water
- Minimising injury potential
- Providing you with a clear training plan and tips for self-coaching up to your event.
- Being aware of the changes in tides and hazardous objects in the water.
- A chance for you to get your questions answered.
- You must be able to swim 100m freestyle continuously.
- A guided harbour swim of varying distances taken at a steady pace and swam at the pace of the slowest swimmer.
We will be monitoring your technique and pace and fitness levels but remember swimming the English Channel is not a race; it is a journey and an epic journey it is.
We will have other past and present Channel Swimmers, both Solo and relay swimmers on had to explain the journey you are starting to take to become a channel swimmer.
We will take a break and have a 30-minute talk around channel swimming, this will give you a much greater insight into the journey you are beginning and what is involved.
During the day, we will hold interviews to assess your commitment to the Channel swim relay and will be taken by SwimTayka.
We hope to be finished by and heading home around 3 pm but please note timings may change.
The cost is £50, and this cost goes towards your overall fundraising target of £1,500, this is the start of your English Channel Journey…!
Not provided is Tea & Coffee, Lunch so please ensure you bring a packed lunch, as there are limited if any facilities to buy food. The day is extremely busy, so we have a working lunch.