We are delighted to be returning to Peru in 2021 for Swim Tayka’s 5th programme of positive change. Try something different and join us as a volunteer. You will play a key role in delivering the SwimTayka method of water safety and water stewardship in Huanchaco, Peru.
This already successful programme runs for two to six weeks during the first two months of 2021. You will be working closely with our NGO partners, local volunteers, environmental educators and surfers during the local children’s summer holiday season.
Our partner organization, Otra Cosa Network, runs a year-round volunteer programme serving the needs women and children living in Huanchaco and surrounding shantytowns. Their HELP programs improve literacy, environmental education, sports, and girl empowerment. Another partner is Boqueron Surf School, one of many surf schools in Huanchaco with the unique mission to teach the poorest children surfing as a life skill.
Join us as a volunteer if you have experience working with children, have some knowledge of Peruvian culture and Spanish language skills (essential for effective communication in Huanchaco). Volunteers work independently, relying heavily on teamwork and creativity, with some coordination and leadership from the staff at OCN and Boqueron Surf School.
Register your interest
What You Will Be Doing
- As a SwimTayka volunteer, you will deliver the SwimTayka Method youth education program in Drowning Prevention and Water Stewardship. The programme is a hands-on, youth education module for children ages 4 – 14, to teach basic swimming skills, water safety, principles of environmental education, and tools for water stewardship.
- In preparation for the project launch, you will work closely with SwimTayka leadership in developing the Curriculum, allowing flexibility to make adjustments as needed.
- In general, your work schedule will run weekdays during working hours. Weekends and evenings are free for you to explore your stunning surroundings:
- Four mornings a week, roughly 9 am – 1 pm. One day a week may be reserved for planned field trips.
- Volunteers will accompany the participants to and from the training location (a local pool or swimming area), provide dry-land instruction and in-water lessons, and ensure safety for all participants at all times.
- The general structure of the day maybe 45 minutes of travel time, 1-hour water drowning prevention, 1-hour environmental education, 45 minutes travel time.
- You must be at least 18 years old at the start of the programme
- You must have experience as a youth swim instructor or familiarity with environmental education principles.
- Familiarity with Peruvian culture and institutions is a big plus. Spanish language skills required.
- You must submit a completed volunteer application and agree to a criminal background check.
Cost Per Volunteer
SwimTayka Project Fund-raising:
Each volunteer will need to raise the target amount to be able to join a SwimTayka programme. We work out all costs for each unique project and provide you with a target donation amount to raise which includes return air flights from your home country. The list below are all provided as part of your SwimTayka fundraising donation target:
Included in the SwimTayka Project Fund-raising:
- Flights and/or boat from your location
- Lodging for the duration of the project
- In-country ground transportation
- Full SwimTayka uniform
- Equipment donations
- SwimTayka donation
NOT Included in the Project Donation:
- International Travellers Insurance for the duration of the project
- Visa Fee (varies by country) click here for:
- Optional extended travel
This excellent description of the beautiful history and uniqueness of Huanchaco, dually recognized as a world surfing reserve and world fishing reserve